Tuesday, May 6, 2014

"Point of View"


So I found this saved on my computer from a few weeks ago and realized I never posted it… oops.
Some of my fellow University Scholar friends and I sometimes joke that our major is a glorified undecided program. When I tell people that my concentrations are Classics and Literature with a little Philosophy thrown into the mix, they never fail to ask – “So what do you plan to do with that?” I usually wish I had an answer to give them with definite post-undergrad plans. But this article makes an important point on why I love the University Scholars program and the “useless” classes I choose to take. Four years is pretty short, and I don’t want to spend that time filling my head with facts and information – I have the rest of my life to do that. Instead, I want to learn how to THINK. I want to be able to take everything I learn and determine why it matters. How does what I learn apply to how I live my life or the world around me? I could choose from any number of majors or concentrations, and the most important aspect of any of the classes I take will be what I choose to do with it outside of the classroom. Coles summed it up nicely when he said “[his student] challenged us to prove that what we think intellectually can be connected to our daily deeds.”

1 comment:

  1. Glad to hear you are striving to get the most out of your college education!

    ReplyDelete